Professor Stan Skafidas
- Antenna technology
- Medical Biotechnology Diagnostics
- Medical Devices
- Microelectronics and Integrated Circuits
Professor Stan Skafidas, from the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, leads the Melbourne School of Engineering's research in nanoelectronics and is the Director for Centre for Neural Engineering.
Professor Skafidas received a PhD from The University of Melbourne in 1997. Before joining NICTA in 2004, he was Chief Technology Officer at Bandspeed (1998-2004), a company he cofounded, based in Austin Texas, which designed and manufactured semiconductor products for enterprise class wireless systems. At Bandspeed, Professor Skafidas co-invented Adaptive Frequency Hopping – an important standard component in Bluetooth devices. This technology has been incorporated in every Bluetooth product since ver 1.2. In 2014 alone, there were over 3 Billion devices sold incorporating this technology. Bandspeed was acquired by Broadcom
In 2008 a team led by Professor Skafidas developed the world's first completely integrated 60GHz transceiver on CMOS. A single chip wireless system that is able to deliver 5Gbps data rate at cost of approximately $1 whilst being only 5mm x 5mm in size. Professor Skafidas co-founded Nitero, the spin out company to commercialise this technology. Nitero received investment from leading venture funds such as Southern Cross Ventures and Austin Ventures. The technology and products based on this technology were the recipient of multiple industry awards including the 2015 CES Innovation award. The CES Innovation Awards is the premier international annual competition honoring outstanding design and engineering in consumer technology products. Today this technology and chipsets is enabling wireless virtual reality headsets and systems. In March 2017 Nitero was acquired by technology multinational Advanced Micro Devices (AMD).
In 2010 Professor Skafidas joined the University of Melbourne. In 2011 Professor Skafidas was appointed the Director of the Centre for Neural Engineering.
In November 2012, Professor Skafidas was elected as a Fellow to the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering (ATSE). Professor Skafidas is recognised for his vision, leadership and major technical accomplishments in industry, research institutions, academia and international standardisation committees. Adaptive frequency-hopping technology that he developed now forms a critical part of the Bluetooth standard and has been incorporated in several billion devices. His research in nano-electronics has advanced the disciplines of wireless communications, single chip radars and medical diagnostic systems.
- Klopper F, Testa R, Pantelis C, Skafidas E. A cluster analysis exploration of autism spectrum disorder subgroups in children without intellectual disability. RESEARCH IN AUTISM SPECTRUM DISORDERS. Elsevier. 2017, Vol. 36.
- Wang K, Song T, Liang T, Nirmalathas A, Lim C, Alameh K, Skafidas E. A Dual-Infrared-Transmitter Optical Wireless Based Indoor User Localization System with High Accuracy. 2017 OPTICAL FIBER COMMUNICATIONS CONFERENCE AND EXHIBITION (OFC). IEEE. 2017.
- Soraya G, Nguyen T, Abeyrathne C, Huynh D, Chan J, Nguyen P, Nasr B, Chana G, Kwan P, Skafidas E. A label-free, quantitative Fecal Hemoglobin detection platform for colorectal cancer screening. Biosensors. MDPI AG. 2017, Vol. 7, Issue 2.
- Abu-Akel A, Testa R, Jones H, Ross N, Skafidas E, Tonge B, Pantelis C. Attentional set-shifting and social abilities in children with schizotypal and comorbid autism spectrum disorders.. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2017.
- Khandokar M, Bakaul M, Asaduzzaman M, Skafidas E, Nirmalathas A. Characterization of geometry and depleting carrier dependence of active silicon waveguide in tailoring optical properties. PHOTONICS RESEARCH. Optical Society of America. 2017, Vol. 5, Issue 4.
- Asaduzzaman M, Bakaul M, Skafidas E, Khandokar M. Compact Silicon Photonic Grating Coupler With Dual-Taper Partial Overlay Spot-Size Converter. IEEE PHOTONICS JOURNAL. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017, Vol. 9, Issue 2.
- Wang K, Nirmalathas A, Lim C, Alameh K, Li H, Skafidas E. Indoor infrared optical wireless localization system with background light power estimation capability. OPTICS EXPRESS. Optical Society of America. 2017, Vol. 25, Issue 19.
- Liu C, Bousman C, Pantelis C, Skafidas E, Zhang D, Yue W, Everall I. Pathway-wide association study identifies five shared pathways associated with schizophrenia in three ancestral distinct populations. TRANSLATIONAL PSYCHIATRY. Nature Publishing Group. 2017, Vol. 7, Issue 2.
- Rajasekharan Unnithan R, Sun M, He X, Balaur E, Minovich A, Neshev DN, Skafidas E, Roberts A. Plasmonic Colour Filters Based on Coaxial Holes in Aluminium. MATERIALS. MDPIAG. 2017, Vol. 10, Issue 4.
- Wang K, Wang Y, Gao S, Nirmalathas A, Lim C, Alameh K, Li H, Skafidas E. Silicon Integrated Optical Isolator With Dynamic Non-Reciprocity. IEEE PHOTONICS TECHNOLOGY LETTERS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017, Vol. 29, Issue 15.
- Wang K, Nirmalathas A, Lim C, Alameh K, Skafidas E. Space-Time-Coded High-Speed Reconfigurable Card-to-Card Free-Space Optical Interconnects. JOURNAL OF OPTICAL COMMUNICATIONS AND NETWORKING. OSA - Optical Society of America. 2017, Vol. 9, Issue 2.
- Wang Y, Gao S, Wang K, Li H, Skafidas E. Ultra-broadband, compact, and high-reflectivity circular Bragg grating mirror based on 220 nm silicon-on-insulator platform. OPTICS EXPRESS. Optical Society of America. 2017, Vol. 25, Issue 6.
- Alshawaf A, Antonic-Baker A, Skafidas E, Ng DC-H, Dottori M. WDR62 Regulates Early Neural and Glial Progenitor Specification of Human Pluripotent Stem Cells. STEM CELLS INTERNATIONAL. Hindawi Publishing Corp. 2017.
- Al-Dirini F, Mohammed MA, Hossain F, Nirmalathas A, Skafidas E. All-Graphene Planar Double-Quantum-Dot Resonant Tunneling Diodes. IEEE JOURNAL OF THE ELECTRON DEVICES SOCIETY. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2016, Vol. 4, Issue 1.
- Wang K, Nirmalathas A, Lim C, Alameh K, Skafidas E. Bi-Directional Space-Time Coded Reconfigurable Board-to-Board Free-Space Optical Interconnects. 2016 CONFERENCE ON LASERS AND ELECTRO-OPTICS (CLEO). IEEE. 2016.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile